Pearl barley

Everything Koi, well almost! General Koi Chat.

Moderators: Sopersonic74, frankoi, Dixiedean

Pearl barley

Postby johnb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:59 am

Am I right in thinking it's a good time of the year to start feeding pearl barley????I'm just cooking some up how long will it last in fridge if I cook a bit up ? :handgestures-thumbup:
:obscene-drinkingcheers: CHEERS JOHN
johnb
Croquembouche
Croquembouche

Re: Pearl barley

Postby manky sanke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:11 am

One easy way that some of my club members use to prepare pearl barley is to put some in a Thermos flask and pour in boiling water then leave overnight. I've never done it this way before because it seemed that the Thermos would be difficult to keep cleaning but I wondered if using an insulated travel mug would keep the water hot enough for long enough to cook it through. If that works, the mug would be easier to wash out or it could simply go in the dishwasher so I'm going to try both methods this year.
manky sanke
Apple Crumble with Custard

Postby johnb » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply. The thermos mugs dont work dont stay hot enough. I've cooked enough to last a week and put it in fridge :handgestures-thumbup:ps added a bit of garlic :handgestures-thumbup:
:obscene-drinkingcheers: CHEERS JOHN
johnb
Croquembouche
Croquembouche

Postby andikoi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 pm

this would work and are easy to clean,,,,andi https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainl ... 123&sr=8-6
enclosed 5000g sleeper pond, 2 spindrifter bd to 2 kc-10 drums,both return over bakki with 70kg bhm,nexus 200 on skimmer,lots of koi but dont know names,so all called "BOB" :bow-yellow:
andikoi
Gateau Saint Honore
Gateau Saint Honore

Postby Sanke Darren » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:09 pm

I use my stainless steel thermos flask I only do enough for a couple of days and add a bit chopped garlic to it boil the kettle add a half a cup of pearl barley to the flask with the garlic top up with the boiling water and seal flask leave overnight and it’s ready the next morning to feed
When I built it I thought it was a pond I now realise it's just a puddle but it's my puddle
Sanke Darren
Dobos Torte
Dobos Torte

Postby manky sanke » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:29 pm

An easy peasy method to "cook" pearl barley and now that I've seen the wide mouthed Thermos flasks (idiot me for not having thought of those before :oops: ) I'll get one at the next opportunity.
manky sanke

Postby Gedmac » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:04 pm

I use a small stainless steel flask handful or 2 off pearl barley scoop off horse garlic then leave overnight :handgestures-thumbup:
Gedmac
Croquembouche
Croquembouche

Return to General Koi Forum