Everything Koi, well almost! General Koi Chat.

Moderators: frankoi, Sopersonic74, Dixiedean

By johnb Croquembouche Croquembouche
#68238 Am I right in thinking it's a good time of the year to start feeding pearl barley????I'm just cooking some up how long will it last in fridge if I cook a bit up ? :handgestures-thumbup:
By manky sanke Apple Crumble with Custard Apple Crumble with Custard
#68245 One easy way that some of my club members use to prepare pearl barley is to put some in a Thermos flask and pour in boiling water then leave overnight. I've never done it this way before because it seemed that the Thermos would be difficult to keep cleaning but I wondered if using an insulated travel mug would keep the water hot enough for long enough to cook it through. If that works, the mug would be easier to wash out or it could simply go in the dishwasher so I'm going to try both methods this year.
By johnb Croquembouche Croquembouche
#68246 Thanks for the reply. The thermos mugs dont work dont stay hot enough. I've cooked enough to last a week and put it in fridge :handgestures-thumbup:ps added a bit of garlic :handgestures-thumbup:
By andikoi Gateau Saint Honore Gateau Saint Honore
#68247 this would work and are easy to clean,,,,andi https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainl ... 123&sr=8-6
By Sanke Darren Dobos Torte Dobos Torte
#68250 I use my stainless steel thermos flask I only do enough for a couple of days and add a bit chopped garlic to it boil the kettle add a half a cup of pearl barley to the flask with the garlic top up with the boiling water and seal flask leave overnight and it’s ready the next morning to feed
By Gedmac Croquembouche Croquembouche
#68252 I use a small stainless steel flask handful or 2 off pearl barley scoop off horse garlic then leave overnight :handgestures-thumbup: