Taking the koi leap

Register and tell us a bit about yourself.

Moderators: Sopersonic74, frankoi, Dixiedean

Taking the koi leap

Postby Mick73 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi all I've been keeping fish for a few years and have decided to keep koi I was thinking a 8 by 12 4 to 5 foot deep I was going to expand my pond which is dug in a raised part of my garden with a retaining wall so the waterline is about foot and a half above the ground at the front it has decking and pretty stuff around it
I have watched countless videos on filtration and the nexus is always mentioned unfortunately there is now way I will get 1 through my home so I was looking at the knockney filters I just wanted some advice on this and the best way to set a filtration system up and also any views on plants around the side as I don't see many with that
Thanks for reading look forward to your replies
Mick73

Re: Taking the koi leap

Postby andikoi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:25 am

buy a drum and separate bio chamber instead,save you money changing to one in the future,which you will end up doing when you get sick of seein bits in pond water, also fit a bottom drain and skimmer and build an overflow in to design somewhere,,,,andi
enclosed 5000g sleeper pond, 2 spindrifter bd to 2 kc-10 drums,both return over bakki with 70kg bhm,nexus 200 on skimmer,lots of koi but dont know names,so all called "BOB" :bow-yellow:
andikoi
Gateau Saint Honore
Gateau Saint Honore

Postby andikoi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am

oh and welcome by the way lol,maybe i should of started with that hahahaha,,,,andi
enclosed 5000g sleeper pond, 2 spindrifter bd to 2 kc-10 drums,both return over bakki with 70kg bhm,nexus 200 on skimmer,lots of koi but dont know names,so all called "BOB" :bow-yellow:
andikoi
Gateau Saint Honore
Gateau Saint Honore

Postby Mick73 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks and Andi I did look at the drums a little out my price range at the moment but will keep a look out for a second hand one
Seen a few videos on the kockney filters good reviews but more to maintain
Mick73

Postby Dixiedean » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi Mick, welcome to the forum,

I agree with Andi, whilst multibay filters may work, you would soon get fed up with it, there are better options nowadays if budget allows.
Best

Deano
Dixiedean
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Airlite » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Mick from another Mick, :handgestures-thumbup:

An 8'x12'x4.5' pond will give you a volume of around 12500l (or 2700 imp gal) roughly. As Andi and Deano have suggested, many of us would advise that a rotary drum filter (RDF) together with some form of additional biological filtration such as as a moving bed chamber would be more efficient than a multi chamber system alone - way more efficient! Most of us have come to that conclusion the hard (and expensive) way in terms of money but more so in terms of time. I for one started out with a multi-bay chamber and quickly realised I was spending best part of an entire day/day and a half each week trying to keep my pond water "clean" (not biologically clean - multi chamber filters are ok at that - but visibly clean). I hated the tons of small particles, weed and fish crap that escaped the filter or otherwise ended up suspended in the pond water and cleaning the filter became a chore that started to impact on my enjoyment of the hobby. After much prevarication I eventually settled on a setup combining a compact drum/bio filter with anoxic filtration which suits me (and my pond) brilliantly now.

I guess in summary I'd say that if your time is "valuable" to you, weigh up the benefits of delaying your pond project/filtration decision in order to save enough for an RDF over getting the pond up an running with a multi chamber then saving for improvements to the system later on. There are pro's and con's either way and only you can decide which one best suits your circumstances.

Good luck mate, let us know what you decide and keep us informed on this forum - it's a fantastic resource of information (and entertainment). Cheers, M :handgestures-thumbupright:
Airlite
Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake

Postby andikoi » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:06 am

don t know what part of country your in but i would try and get a look at a few others ponds and their filtration set up for ideas,i started with a pump fed pressure filter then went kockney koi 5000v bay filter and bottom drain,then oase 18 screenmatic,then nexus and eventually drums and large shower on new pond,nexus 200 sat on skimmer as they are great for bio once matured,i wouldnt dare to think what ive spent on filtration over the years or let the wife know lol,but i wont be changing again now,to be honest your looking at probably £400-500 for a multibay to do yours, if its the initial outlay then why not look at something like this https://kitsukoi.co.uk/collections/aem- ... -koi-ponds has the flushing pump and amalgam uv and only £75 a month on finance,all you would need is a pump then abio chamber or shower for after it if you went gravity fed,,,better doing it right first time like we all wish we had,,,,,andi
andikoi
Gateau Saint Honore
Gateau Saint Honore

Postby frankoi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:39 am

Hi Mick,
Welcome to the forum :obscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbup:
Its a shame you could not find a way to get a Nexus into your garden, Is it not possible to get it through via your neighbours garden :confusion-scratchheadyellow:
Regards Frank
frankoi

Postby Sopersonic74 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Mick73 wrote:Hi all I've been keeping fish for a few years and have decided to keep koi I was thinking a 8 by 12 4 to 5 foot deep I was going to expand my pond which is dug in a raised part of my garden with a retaining wall so the waterline is about foot and a half above the ground at the front it has decking and pretty stuff around it
I have watched countless videos on filtration and the nexus is always mentioned unfortunately there is now way I will get 1 through my home so I was looking at the knockney filters I just wanted some advice on this and the best way to set a filtration system up and also any views on plants around the side as I don't see many with that
Thanks for reading look forward to your replies

Welcome Mick :handgestures-thumbup: :mrgreen: I had a nexus 220 at my old place and it fit through door ways :handgestures-thumbup: just a thought :obscene-drinkingcheers:
:mega: SOPERSONIC
Sopersonic74

Postby Mick73 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:54 pm

Thanks all for you advice I really do appreciate it iam going to have a good think about the way to set the pond up I think I may go with a drum filter just going to have to save the pennies
Mick73

Return to Welcome to Chatterkoi