Everything Koi, well almost! General Koi Chat.

Moderators: frankoi, Sopersonic74, Dixiedean

By Flateric Sponge Cake Sponge Cake
#70319 Know this one has been asked a few times, but...........looking to heat this summer, and ashp seems the way to go.
An update on the thermotec units at all? They seem one of the most efficient on the market.
Looking at the 12kw for 5000 gallons, does anyone have backup heating just in case of failure?

Cheers

Paul
By IrishMul Strawberry Cheesecake Strawberry Cheesecake
#70320 I went for a new hydro pro z heater this year. Set up right it’s a dream and very easy on power. Simon in AES was extremely helpful and help me set it correctly.

I’m heating all year now and uncovered in winter :handgestures-thumbup:
By Dixiedean Site Admin Site Admin
#70322 Ged doesn't have an ASHP, but he does have a heating back up............... himself, cos he's full of hot air :lol:
#70323 Cheers IrishMul, a good alternative by the looks of it :handgestures-thumbup:

Couldn’t possibly comment Deano :laughing-rolling:
By Sopersonic74 Moderator Moderator
#70338 Hi, I have the 12kw thermotec running on my 4K gallon pond :handgestures-thumbup:

It’s a great bit of kit, whisper quiet and super efficient :mrgreen: but in answer to your actual question, no I don’t have any backup in place, though I do have a 2kw titanium heating probe that I could drop into the drum in an emergency. However I haven’t needed any backup so far and it maintains the set temp easily, plus I don’t cover :obscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbup: :mrgreen:
By Gedmac Croquembouche Croquembouche
Dixiedean wrote:Ged doesn't have an ASHP, but he does have a heating back up............... himself, cos he's full of hot air :lol:

Must have took you a week to think off that :laughing-rolling:
By craig b Gateau Saint Honore Gateau Saint Honore
Sopersonic74 wrote:
craig b wrote:He cant sleep because of his sunburn.

:lol: All brown now :handgestures-thumbup: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I bet your white bits under your tits are not brown :laughing-rolling:
Sopersonic74 wrote:Hi, I have the 12kw thermotec running on my 4K gallon pond :handgestures-thumbup:

It’s a great bit of kit, whisper quiet and super efficient :mrgreen: but in answer to your actual question, no I don’t have any backup in place, though I do have a 2kw titanium heating probe that I could drop into the drum in an emergency. However I haven’t needed any backup so far and it maintains the set temp easily, plus I don’t cover :obscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbup: :mrgreen:

Cool, cheers for that. Recommendations make choosing easier :handgestures-thumbup:
The guy I spoke to before said about having a backup. Not heard anyone doing that with the elecro units a few years back.

What sort of temps do you keep in summer/winter?
#70382 Yeah looking to hit around the same temps.

Need to make some calls next week, pick one and get on with it, rather than thinking about it :lol:
By IrishMul Strawberry Cheesecake Strawberry Cheesecake
#70389 Better off getting it right first time. The hydro pro z 11 was the best decision I made. Was nervous checking first 2 electricity bills but all was good :lol:

Simon in AES was great to deal with. If ya want his number at any stage give me a pm :handgestures-thumbup:
Flateric wrote:
Sopersonic74 wrote:Hi, I have the 12kw thermotec running on my 4K gallon pond :handgestures-thumbup:

Cool, cheers for that. Recommendations make choosing easier :handgestures-thumbup:
The guy I spoke to before said about having a backup. Not heard anyone doing that with the elecro units a few years back.

What sort of temps do you keep in summer/winter?

Hi, I’m currently at 20 degrees, which will rise to 23 for the summer, then I drop down to 14 by end of December and then to 8 for a couple of months :handgestures-thumbup: :mrgreen:
#70396 Perfect, cheers chaps :handgestures-thumbup:

Looking to have a tidy up in the filter shed and locate the heat pump in the entrance, leaving the double doors open (they are open all year round anyway). There’s enough space around it, to get sufficient air flow.
Also easy to plumb and the Wi-Fi works okay down there.

Have you both fitted a bypass?
#70399 Great :handgestures-thumbup: might need to factor an inline flow gauge.
Flateric wrote:Perfect, cheers chaps :handgestures-thumbup:

Looking to have a tidy up in the filter shed and locate the heat pump in the entrance, leaving the double doors open (they are open all year round anyway). There’s enough space around it, to get sufficient air flow.

Yep, must have a bypass to be able to adjust the flow to obtain a temperature differential between 1 & 2 degrees between inlet and outlet. You won’t need a flow meter, as the ASHP won’t operate below its minimum flow and it’s the temp difference that is the gauge to use :handgestures-thumbup: :mrgreen:
By Dixiedean Site Admin Site Admin
#70403 I go down to 8c in December, then gradually up to max 20c May/ June.

Costs me more to heat in summer than it does in winter :shock:
Sopersonic74 wrote:
Flateric wrote:Perfect, cheers chaps :handgestures-thumbup:

Yep, must have a bypass to be able to adjust the flow to obtain a temperature differential between 1 & 2 degrees between inlet and outlet. You won’t need a flow meter, as the ASHP won’t operate below its minimum flow and it’s the temp difference that is the gauge to use :handgestures-thumbup: :mrgreen:

Cheers for the top tip. What’s the object of keeping a temp differential?
I’ve got two pond returns, with only one going through the ashp.
Sparky by trade, plumbing is the enemy!! :laughing-rolling: